Previously we covered F (Fear of the Lord), E (Endurance) L (Love), L (Light of Glory), O (One Thing), W (Worthy), S (Speech) and H (Humility).
Now is time for the last two letters—we have kept the best for last…
Fasten your seatbelt…
I plan to have a very frank and honest conversation with you—we’re about to get real—no masks allowed from this point on. And if you’re wearing one, you’re not going to like me very much (:
Intimacy with Jesus is the opposite of hearing “I never knew you.”
- Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name? ‘ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness—Mt. 7:21-23
Believe me, I don’t want to hear those words… and I’m sure you don’t want Jesus speaking those words to you (in that day).
No matter how big or small your ministry is. No matter how powerful, important, or useful you consider yourself to be.
“I never knew you” implies that you can have a powerful ministry without intimacy—You can function with His power without close access to Him.
You can have a beautiful “functional” lamp without “oil” inside. You can operate in faith and get results, without HIM knowing you.
Please make sure that doesn’t happen to you. Make sure He gets to know you—build your history with God and have oil in your lamp.
Pay attention to the following story from Jesus…
- Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish. Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them, but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight a cry was heard:’Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him! ‘ Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out. ‘ But the wise answered, saying, ‘ No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves. ‘ And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut. Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open to us! ‘ But he answered and said, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you”—Mt. 25:1-11
The lamp refers to your ministry. The oil refers to your history with God (your personal, intimate relationship with the Lord).
There is still time to be WISE and abandon foolishness. Time to intimately know and be known by God—time to draw near to the Lord.
Be bold now and ask the Holy Spirit:
- Lord, do you know me intimately or not?
Maybe He does. Maybe He doesn’t. Whatever the case, don’t wait until that final day to find out… get oil… I repeat: get OIL!
Here’s a sample Prayer:
- Father, I want to know Jesus and be known by Jesus. Guide me into all truth. Show me what it means to be the Bride of Christ. Show me what it means to be known by you and to know you intimately. I don’t want to hear those terrifying words at the end. Shock me now if needed. Show me how to get Oil in my lamp. Know me… and let me know the secrets of Your heart (Ps. 25:14).
You might be thinking: “Pablo, how on earth you can talk about ‘peace’ after what you just made me ponder?”
Well… like or not, we have to finish the acronym (:
Plus, this devotional is called Spiritual Fuel. And that previous acronym letter is ‘jet fuel’. The type of fuel that will make your life and “ministry machine” work for a long, long time.
- The peace of God will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:7) Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Rom. 15:13) May the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always in every way. (2 Thes. 3:16)
How the peace of God comes to you?
God fills you with joy and peace as you believe in Him (Rom. 15:13).
If your emotions are in turmoil, you should stop yourself immediately and analyze what you are thinking and imagining…
That’s usually where the problem is…
Because your thoughts and imaginations are creating your emotions (what you feel). And those 3 things (thoughts, imaginations and feelings) are the core part of your belief system.
I’ll be blunt now… yes, once again (:
=> Whatever is in your mind, you are choosing to have it there.
Truth is, if you feel stressful and anxious all the time it’s probably your fault (unless your brain is whacked or you’re demon possessed).
Yes, I just wrote that… you can feel calm and joyful if you think the ‘right thoughts’ and imagine the ‘right things’.
And guess what? You can start doing it right now.
- And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord—Col. 3:15-16
If your emotions are out of control use your mouth to conquer your mind. Start by praying and (speaking) the Word, sing the Word. And pretty soon, you’ll end up thinking the Word.
“But Pablo, you don’t understand…”
You’re right, I don’t.
“You don’t know what happened, and what they did to me… how broken I am… and how the Devil is after me (all the attacks I’m under)”
Right again—I don’t know.
But this I know: you are the only person managing your mind and emotions. And you’re the only one choosing how to react to events—how to respond to what happens to you (good or bad).
What I’m showing you here is a principle…
The Super Simple “Focus” Principle
- If you want PEACE in your life, follow the instructions above (consistently) and you’ll find peace.
- If you want anxiety and depression, keep rehearsing all the bad things that happened to you—that is a sure way to keep feeling the same emotions (and perpetuating your pain).
Pursuing counsel is wise. We all need help and the Bible declares that there is safety in the multitude of counselors (Prov. 11:14 | 24:6).
But don’t be deceived, if you keep re-living your “wrongs” no matter how many counseling sessions or shrinks you go to—you’re emotional reality will NOT change (the only thing that may change is your shrink bill).
It’s time you and I take 100% responsibility for our mental and emotional life. We must stop the blaming game.
And we must stop blaming the Devil, because that loser can NOT do anything to our emotional life without our permission.
You see, Jesus already defeated and triumphed over Satan once and for all (Col. 2:14,15). He’s is a loser—but a smart loser—he has 6000 years of experience manipulating humans and definitely knows how to deceive and distort our reality.
But make no mistake: demons have NO power against Spirit filled christians. They need our agreement to inflict emotional damage.
When they win [the battle of our mind] is only because we let them win. When we drink their deceptive ‘cool aid’ and choose to believe the lies they disguised as truth.
It’s time to wake up…
You can have the peace of God today if you want to…
It’s up to you.
Here’s a sample Prayer:
- Father, in the Name of Jesus, I choose to believe in you. I choose to fill my mind with your word, with your thoughts. Strengthen my heart with your heavenly peace, in areas I feel rejection, fear and anxiety. Fill me with your peace that I may abound in Hope by the Power of your Holy Spirit.
Congratulations! You have completed: F-E-L-L-O-W-S-H-I-P
But I have more for you… you’ll see (: